Thursday, April 30, 2009

Classic Oat Cherryberry Cookies

From Oatmeal CherryBerry Cookies


Oh, I wish I  had taken a better picture of these babies. I thought I had, but the iPhoto shows me otherwise! Trust me this is not just another oatmeal cookie. It is my new favorite go-to oatmeal cookie recipe. Don't you just love the way the word, cookies, sounds?

Okay, these are the cookies I took to my book club today. I love to surprise my them with baked goods. Most of them do not like overly sweet desserts, so I try to make them semi-sweet sweets.

I made them these classic oat cookies with a twist. I added  1/3 cup of mixed dried cranberries and cherries to the dough. Then, drizzled a touch of white chocolate to some of the cookies, just in case someone did not want the chocolate! There are some out there, you know.  These cookies come out with a delicate sweetness and a perfect outer crisp that is met with a chewy center filled with a hint of tart cherry berry goodness.

Here is the recipe I used from Easy Cookies by Linda Collister that was given to me by Christine from Happy Tummy. 

Ingredients  (Makes 24)
 
1 stick unsalted butter, very soft
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 extra- large egg, beaten (I used a large egg)
1 tbsp of milk ( I used skim)
1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp self- rising flour
1/2 cup of dried fruit (I used cherries and cranberries)
1 1/2 cups coarse oatmeal or rolled oats
Put butter, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in a bowl and beat well using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon ( I creamed the butter first. Then, slowly mixed in other wet ingredients a little at a time). Add the flour and oats and mix well with the wooden spoon.
Put heaping teaspoons of dough onto prepared pans, spacing them well apart.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges (mine took about 12 minutes)
Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (This keeps them from over browning).
Then drizzle with melted white chocolate.
Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days or freeze for up to a month.
Variations: At the same time as the flour, add either:
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, cherries, cranberries, or blueberries)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp apple pie spice, and 2 pinches of ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup chopped almonds

Yeah,  I do not know about the black pepper part, but the rest sound awesome.

Give these a try! They are so good.

13 comments:

Mermaid Sews said...

Mmmn, go to recipe eh? That sounds pretty good.

Christina Kim said...

They look so tasty! I especially like the white-chocolate-drizzled ones. Your book clubs buddies are lucky to have such a talented baker in their group! The black pepper part sounds strange, but who knows, maybe it really works.

Ginger said...

I really like this recipe. This is a perfect cookie to take hiking!! I think that your photo is fine!!

Debbie said...

Cherries and cranberries? Sounds like heaven.

Amanda said...

Those look really good! I love that combo too, I will have to try these :)

Anonymous said...

These cookies sound great with cherries and cranberries! Very yummy!

Karen said...

These look so good ! I will have to try these as Gary loves oatmeal cookies ! The white chocolate drizzle is such a neat idea. My sister is one of those that does not like chocolate ... how can non-chocolate lovers even be from this planet! LOL

Anonymous said...

YUM! They look good.

Unknown said...

They look scrumptious! What is your book for your book club? I am feeling sad and blue on this rainy night but you just cheered me up with this recipe : )

Are you excited about the new Julia Childs movie that is going to come out about a girl and her cooking? I can't wait!

Unknown said...

yay! so glad you found a recipe you liked in that book :)

just the other day a friend gave me a bag of dried cherries from her trip to michigan. michigan cherries are the best. i'm inspired by your post to use them in oatmeal cookiesnow!

HappyTummy

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds delicious and they look wonderful. Love the flavors. So tasty!

Marthe said...

These look really tasty. Yum! Unfrotunately I haven't been able to find dried cherries though....

I had lots of fun making the flower pots, it's okay to use normal flower pots, just make sure you haven't used them for realy dirt ;)

Teanna DiMicco said...

That's it, you've sold me, I'm trying this!