Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What's Up Doc? Cake

As some of you may know, over the holidays I lost my trusty little camera given to me by my hubby after I scratched it up when I got woozy standing on top of a high cliff jutting out of the Grand Canyon attempting to take Ansel Adam-esque pictures. I will just blame it on pregnancy hormones, because every one knows that I have Wonder Woman skills and that heights do not intimidate me - usually. I mean for goodness sakes, I have jumped out of a plane three times at an altitude of 13,500 feet! Why would something like a little ole cliff that is a mile high scare me? Anyway, I digress. I am just upset that I lost my camera that had the best pictures I have ever taken on it. For example, me and the kids in our Cowboys jerseys in front of my sister's fireplace during the Thanksgiving game. I also had some of my baby daughter's first trip to my hometown's waterfalls (with video). Yes, the more I think about it, the more upset I get. I am sure some native Wichitan is enjoying my trusty little camera now, after deleting all my pics and videos that I took with love and pride!

One picture also gone is the one I took of my awesome carrot cake, if I do say so myself. And I do. It was one of my contributions to the Thanksgiving smorgasbord we feasted on. Since, I do not have a picture of this fabulous cake, I had to borrow one.


From carrotcake

Photo and cake recipe from Make Fabulous Cakes website.

This cake is amazing! However, I did not use the website's icing recipe, only the cake recipe. I used my own icing recipe.  Let me tell you, this icing got rave reviews! I had extra icing leftover and could not stop licking it off the spoon. My brother-in-law was afraid that my twin sister would leave him for the icing. My twin sister's neighbors flipped over it. My other sister's office friends were wild about it. It was a huge cake and we had plenty to go around, but the icing is what all the buzz was about. After all, high praise over one's food is what every foodie fantasizes about. Am I right out there?

Here is how I did it:

Carolina's Holiday White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

  • 2 ounces white chocolate
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons egg nog
 I doubled the recipe in order to fill the cake and frost the cake.

  1. In small saucepan, melt white chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth, and allow to cool to room temperature.
  2. In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in white chocolate,  vanilla, and orange extract. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Mix in egg nog. 
This icing goes great with any fruity, nutty, or spice cake and bread. I have used it on red velvet cakes and on banana nut muffins (substitute orange extract with banana extract and egg nog with heavy cream) You can also thin the icing with a little bit more egg nog or cream and drizzle it over cake loaves. 

Seriously, it is really a good icing. Definitely for the person with a sweet tooth! 

Next up, Dorie's Pumpkin Sour Cream Pie. This picture was also on my lost camera! Dorie did it again as this pie is to die for. I will use this recipe again and again, especially for Thanksgiving Day.

6 comments:

Dragana said...

Why am I not surprised that you found a way to include chocolate in a carrot cake?!!! I love it - sounds wonderful with a touch of orange. I'll definitely try it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your camera, hope you're feeling ok these days. The carrot cake sounds wonderful!

Jennifer said...

I sure hope you get a new camera from Santa! The frosting sounds yummy!

Kayte said...

Sorry to hear about your camera...and the loss of the great photos! I think it happens to everyone at least once in a lifetime...Mark lost a camera in Rome with all the photos on it...OMW, I was so sad for a long time. Love Carrot cake!

Unknown said...

I think everything you make looks amazing. And I think you are a super star. And I am so flipping excited that you are pregnant! Oh my gosh :) SO excited. I can not stop smiling!

Karine said...

Your carrot cake sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)