Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Over Easy Does It


Eggs  Over Easy with Gruyere Cheese 

Putting the toddlers to bed is NEVER easy in the Little household. Trust me.  It takes a good 30 minutes of fussing and whining, before the kids let us leave the room. Then, it is another 15- 30 minutes for them to fall asleep, if we are lucky. By the time it is all said and done, we are wiped out. Yes, we feel like we  have been put through the ringer. Toddlers have a way of making you feel like you have met your match, if you were a match for them.

With this chaos awaiting us every night, it is no wonder that I really like to cook up simple foods for the family, especially in the morning. Here is a recipe that I saw on The Chew the other day while I was running on the treadmill in the gym. While I am not a big fan of the show, it is something to watch while I am running out my miles. Mario Batali demonstrated one of his favorite meals to make for himself while his family is away, Duck Eggs Over Easy with Fontina. Since I did not have duck eggs (which sounds amazing to me) and no fontina, I improvised. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. This is what I did:


Cooked hen eggs sunny side up  on medium heat with melted butter until inner whites are firm with melted butter.
Then, topped with Gruyere cheese.


Gently flipped egg over to cook over easy for 15 seconds.
 I did baste it with a little butter. 

Did the other side as well. Be careful NOT to over cook.
Should take a little less than 15 seconds more.
Finally, I topped toasted wheat bread with  the over easy eggs.  Sprinkled salt and pepper and more cheese over eggs.
Next time,  I will use a heartier whole wheat bread that this meal deserves.
For me, the best part of the meal, besides being quick and easy, is the runny yolk flavored with nutty and slightly sweet gruyere cheese oozing all over the toasted bread as you cut into it.  The taste is simply divine.  It is a simple meal to make every day, for a Sunday brunch, or a solo dinner. Paired with fruit and a good juice or my preferred cup of coffee, this dish is just SIMPLY perfect.

What takes do you have on making this dish even better?





1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sometimes the simplest things are the most satisfying. These eggs look terrific! I hope you guys get some rest soon.