Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hold-The- Mayo-Please- Artichoke Spinach Dip


Healthy and Delicious: Spinach Artichoke Dip from Serious Eats


I miss blogging. How many times have I said and written this? Several. I still cook and bake like crazy. I still take photos using my trusty iPhone. I still think of how awesome it would be to blog about what I am cooking and baking on a daily basis. After all, my number one way to show I care is too cook and bake for someone or everyone and/or to share recipes that I am excited about or have tried.  While I never make New Year's resolutions, I do think that it is as good as a time as any to recommit myself to my blog.

I had hope to share the following recipe on Shelby's site over at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch for her 4- year  blog anniversary highlighting appetizers, but of course, I ran out of time and steam. So, dearest Shelby, I am sorry, but I want you to know that your blog is one of the first food blogs (or blogs period) that I ever followed and you will always hold a special place  in my blogosphere for that very reason. Another reason is Shelby has a really down-to-earth and amazing looking  blog. Her site is really good. I strongly recommend that you go over there and take a look at her life and loves and cooking.

If you know me, then you know I HATE mayonnaise and Miracle Whip. I can't stand either of them and never use them when I can help it. That is why when I was looking for a spinach artichoke dip recipe that did not use mayo, I googled, spinach artichoke dip that does not use mayo. Brilliant, I know. The recipe that came up was this one from Serious Eats.  I especially like that it does not use frozen spinach, which at times, IMHO, tastes like seaweed. I love using fresh spinach. The recipe is deemed as "aces", so I just had to try it and see if it is.

It is.

My spin on the recipe was to divide it into individual ramekins for serving and placement. I also added extra mozzarella on top of the spinach artichoke mixture before baking it to give the dip a little more poof and brown puffiness. Other than that, I stuck true to the recipe and LOVED it. The recipe  calls for three cloves of garlic which really is perfect for a garlic lover like myself. This dip came out creamy and rich and complimented the Stacy Pita chips I served along with it. I highly recommend this recipe EVEN if you like mayo.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year! I really hope to see more of you in the New Year and will stop by your blogs very soon to see how y'all are doing and what y'all are making.

Be safe and be happy!





3 comments:

Shelby said...

Carolina, you are so sweet :) Thank you - and I will add your link to the link tool on my post. I hope you and your family have a great new year and I hope you get to blog more often! Hugs!

Katy ~ said...

This does sound interesting! After all the positive reviews of this recipe, I would certainly like to sample it. I agree, mayo can be overwhelming.

Coleens Recipes said...

This recipe looks excellent. It's not easy to find one that uses fresh spinach. I look forward to trying this one, thank you for sharing the recipe link!!