Monday, August 17, 2009

Post #154: Healthy Cooking Chocolate PB Parfaits

From Peanut Butter Dessert


My hubby left today for overseas. Once again, I have to say goodbye to him and wait almost 6 weeks to see him again! These days, suck!

Right now, I am blogging while my baby is watching Baby Einstein.  Of course, I have pressed something on the controller that has put up strange symbols on the screen and I do not know how to turn it off! Her daddy would know what I did wrong and could fix it. Luckily, she does not seem to mind the cryptic looking symbols covering the brightly colored animations. 

While he was home this time around, my hubby and I started eating lighter, exercising a lot more, and counting calories. Having the sweet tooth that I do, I am always on the lookout for great dessert recipes, especially those involving chocolate. I am still interested in those recipes, but on the lighter side.

Here is one I found in a Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine from the June/July 2008 issue, page 30.  It was submitted by a reader named Pat Soloman. I am indebted to her forever! I love this easy and light recipe.

My 8-year old son, Justin, assisted me in the making of this dessert. We had fun.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Parfaits
Prep: 20 min + chilling  Yield: 6 servings
  • 2 tbs reduced-fat chunky peanut butter (I used creamy)
  • 2 tbs plus 2 cups cold fat-free milk, divided
  • 1 cup plus 6 tbs reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
  • 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
  • 3 tbs finely chopped salted peanuts 
1. In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of milk. Fold in one cup whipped topping; set aside. In another small bowl, whisk remaining milk with the pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. 

2. Spoon half of the pudding into six parfait glasses or dessert dishes. Layer with reserved peanut butter mixture and remaining pudding. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Refrigerate remaining whipped topping. 
3. Just before serving, garnish each parfait with 1 tablespoon of whipped topping and 1-1/2 teaspoons peanuts.

Nutrition Facts: 1 parfait equals 146 calories, 6 g fat (3 g sat), 2 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 16 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk


The family really liked this tasty treat. It was creamy, cool, and sweet tooth satisfying! Perfect for everyone who likes PB and chocolate.

Okay, off I go to start dinner. Maybe, we will just have cereal.

The symbols are still on the screen, as if Baby Einstein is not annoying enough! It may be six weeks until we get them off of there.

I miss my man.

5 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I hope the six weeks will go by fast for you! The parfait looks great!

Donna-FFW said...

Your low fat dessert looks terrific! I love the flavors! I hope your 6 weeks flies by!

Anonymous said...

The parfaits look delicious and it's great that this is a healthy recipe! I hope you'll be ok for the next six weeks, time should go fast.

Jaime said...

these look so tempting!

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so sorry he had to leave. But now he is home again, right? Since it has been 6 weeks since August 16. Or maybe next week! Either way, I hope you are very happy and together again!