Sunday, May 1, 2011

Easy Icebox Pudding Cake



This is the time of year for picnics and BBQ's. I have been to several already and don't let my lack of posts fool you, I have been busy in the kitchen. I wish I could sit down and share some recipes with you more often. I really love to share the easy ones, that is why I just had to make the effort to post this summer time favorite treat. It is simple and so good. It is convenient and affordable to keep the ingredients  on hand and make in a pinch. My Aunt Becky taught me how to make it many many years ago.  I committed it to memory, which is always a crap shoot with me, but when you taste it, you will see why it stayed. To date, it is one of my twin sister's favorite dish.

Here is how I did it:

Ingredients
1- box of graham crackers
2- boxes of French Vanilla Pudding
1- container of chocolate syrup 
Large container of whipped topping 
or
4 cups of Homemade whipped topping

Directions:

1. First, layer your graham crackers all around a 13 X 9 dish. I made sure the entire bottom was lined. I had to crack the crackers in irregular pieces to get the entire sides covered (not shown here). It does not have to be pretty. Trust me. It will still look layered.


2. Next, make your pudding according to directions. Add 1/2 of whipped topping to the pudding. 


 3. Then, cover top of graham crackers with 1/2 of the pudding mixture.


 4. Drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the pudding layer.


 5. Stack another layer of graham crackers as before. Repeat pudding and chocolate syrup steps again.


 6. To the last graham cracker layer, add a generous amount of chocolate syrup.


7. With the back of  a large spoon or spatula, smooth the chocolate syrup out evenly.


8. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before topping with whipped cream. If you are taking it with you, add the whipped topping after 30 minutes. Then, let the topped dessert set in the fridge for another 30 minutes or as long as possible before covering with plastic wrap. If you are using a casserole dish with cover ignore that step.

9. Enjoy!



I added chocolate shavings to the top of dessert. I have also used mini chocolate chips, cocoa dust, and toasted pecans in the past.

Just have fun with it. It is easy and it goes QUICKLY. Kids love it, too!

There are many versions of this dessert. I have made several different ones, too. This is still my favorite. All though, going all chocolate ties easily (chocolate graham crackers, pudding, and topping)! I would really be interested in seeing others, so let me have them.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is awesome, I have never heard of making a cake that way before, I am fo sure going to make it this summer!

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks really good! And easy, too, which you can't beat at this time of year. :-)