Monday, June 30, 2008

Body Image

I have been reading blogs about how to get back into shape after having a baby. I read some where women were actually still weight training and running during their pregnancies and competed shorty after their pregnancies in events and won! I am amazed. I will be happy just to walk/run our Houston half marathon. Earlier this year, I ran it two month pregnant. I had to stop and pee all the time. It was not pretty.
I do not know if I am more obsessed than most women about my looks, but I will say I do let it be know that I am NOT crazy about putting on pounds no matter what, pregnancy included. I really do want to start running asap. I also want to shed pounds asap.
I have seen many women let themselves go before, during, and after pregnancy. This is my fear. That one day, I will let it happen to me and not really notice it.
I remember watching Oprah (when I was young, dumb, and did not know better!) a long time ago. On her show, she had older women who looked awesome for their ages detailing their beauty routines. One woman who was in her late fifties and looked hot shared her secrets and said that she always keeps it in mind that we only have one run at this life, so we should make it count. That really stuck with me. That is the power of the media. The power of words. I only have one shot at this life. I only have one shot to stay healthy, fit, active, happy, make a difference, and so on.
I do not know why I am writing this. I guess it is that internal fear and self doubt that you feel you need to express to expel it. I guess that is what I am doing. I have less than three weeks to go, before I no longer have my child in my womb and have to start shedding the pounds that are left behind. Tic Toc. At this age, it will be harder, but not impossible. It is just another challenge to meet and an accomplishment to carry with me through my journey. But like any human, the fear of failing is always in the forefront of my mind.

No comments: