Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sunny Day

Well, it has been a while since I have posted. I wanted to be more aggressive with this blog site, but I started it up right near the time when my hubby came home and we moved into our new house. For me, like most people, moving is quite the undertaking and exhausting. Now, we are moved in, by hubby has left back to work, and I am readjusting to the life of a rotation worker's wife. This part really really sucks. Gabe and I go from being together 24/7 for 5 weeks to the complete opposite. The first few days he leaves, it feels like having my heart broken. Weirdly enough, it reminds me of how much I can take him for granted and what-if- scenarios of him being taken completely out of my life. I think I hold my breath until I know he has safely touched the ground in Nigeria. I do not think it lets up until he safely touches Houston soil.
So, my heart still feels broken. Today, I tried to distract my thoughts by doing what most people do when they need to deal with pining, I worked on several different things. Being a stay-at home mom is still quite the adjustment for me. Sometimes, I feel like I am so far removed from the workplace that I have to make sure this new life works out for me, because the alternative is so distant and not very desirable to me. Today, I stopped mid chore of cleaning and organizing a very cluttered closet with junk collected over several years and dragged my 8-year old with me to the pool, the pool, mid afternoon, while most people are at work, but now, not me. I felt both guilty and privileged. Now, I am not going to say that staying at home is all work and no play or all play and no work. It has it trials, just as it has its rewards. I must say that the lifestyle is more flexible and can produce a very efficient running of the family. There are siren calls of returning to the work force, but on days like today, when I was basking in the sun and listening to my son splash around in the water, my ears are firmly plugged. All I can hear is the sigh of relief that life is good, we are lucky, and I am not as pasty white as I was yesterday!
Now, I have to get back to that looming pile of clutter!

No comments: