Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Dough"licious!

From Kugelhopf

I am so excited. This is my first "Tuesdays with Dorie" or to be referred to from here on out, TWD, post. This week's recipe was Kugelhopf as chosen by Yolanda of The All-purpose Girl. I am so happy to be in such culinary company! I was even happier that my Kugelhopf even made it into the ballpark of looking like Kugelhopf! As I write this, I have just had 2 slices of mine toasted and with strawberry jam, accompanied by chocolate truffle coffee. It is amazing how such quaint treats can be made right in your home.

The only problems I had with my first go at making Kugelhopf is that I was unsure of how the dough should look in the different stages and how it should be applied to the pan. Also, my dough did not rise to the top of the pan at the "final rise"-stage after several hours (7) of waiting. I finally threw in the towel and popped it in as is. The result was not too shabby. I was happy with it. At least it resembled a baked treat! It also tasted like a buttered croissant. The kids ate it, especially since I substituted raisins with Craisins, and brushed the outside generously with honey butter. I also did more than just sprinkle powdered sugar, I dropped it on! It may be a while before I make this again. It takes some time and with kids (the baby is in the background fussing), it can be a little difficult, although, my seven year old son did help add in the sugar and butter and he and my oldest daughter took some of my pictures.

Anyway, I am so happy to be here. I can hardly wait to do the next challenge, arborio rice pudding (vanilla or chocolate). Gotta get to the baby!

No comments: