So in honor of my friend Angie's visit to Houston, I hosted a dinner party at my home this past Saturday. I absolutely love to have people over, especially for dinner parties. Our theme was Friends Fiesta. I,and my little assistants, laid out a Mexican spread. We started off with homemade empanadas and guacamole. I cheated by buying store-bought salsa (Mrs. Renfro's Corn and Chipotle Salsa) to go with the store-bought chips, but no one seemed to mind. Hey, a girl only has so much time. We followed the apps with a very moist and tender Enchilada Casserole, Mexican Rice, and Slow-Cooked pinto beans infused with ham flavoring. My daughter made her first Chocolate Tres Leches, which was very rich and good. To accompany all this food, I made my own Sangria. It soaked for 24 hours and was worth the wait. Hey, nothing but the best for my friends, who mean the world to me.
Here is the recipe:
- Fill a 2 quart pitcher about 3/4 full of Red Wine (preferably Cabernet Sauvignon-ANY brand,box works just as well)
- Dice one medium plum and add to wine (without pit)
- Add half a large lemon or whole small lemon wedges to wine, squeeze juices into the wine first, then drop wedges in
- Repeat above with lime
- Repeat above with orange
- Repeat above with tangerine
- Add 2 tbs of Sugar
- Add a generous splash of Orange Juice
- Stir and cover;refrigerate for 24 hours
- Before serving, add 3-5 sliced Strawberries without stem AND add Gingerale until the pitcher is almost completely filled without overflowing. Stir.
- Pour wine 3/4 into glasses and add fruit from pitcher.