Thursday, November 20, 2008

Scones With a Twist

From Scones


So, I have already told you that I have a sweet tooth and that lately I am in a "baking" mood. Baking is not my strength, neither is cake decorating, but I am eagerly working on both. I experimented last night with a scone recipe. I always seem to have a hankering for anything chocolatey or peanut buttery and bready! Last night, I decided to jazz up the scone recipe using packets of Nestle Reese's Butterfinger Cocoa flavoring. I thought maybe adding that would be easier than adding peanut butter to my scone recipe. Then, I thought, maybe I need a little more chocolate. Therefore, the chocolate chips were summoned. I just love it when my hunches pay off. This was a perfect treat, especially with a cup of hot chocolate.
Here is my recipe adapted from The Cooking Book by Jane Bull. I use this book to bake easy treats with my kids.

Tea Time Peanut Butter and Chocolate Flavored Scones
Preheat oven to 425F
  1. Rub 3 tbs. of butter and 1-3/4 cups of flour together and form crumbs
  2. Add 3 tbs of sugar and 1/2 packet of Nestle Reese's Butterfinger Flavored Cocoa (or equivalent)
  3. Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
  4. Pour in 1/2 cup of milk
  5. Blend well with a knife-keeps from sticking to fingers ( mixture will look crumby)
  6. Make a ball
  7. Flour and flatten ball on a floured surfaced. Flatten to about 1" thick mound.
  8. Put on a cookie sheet that is lightly greased
  9. Cut mound into sections by slicing inserts halfway through (I sometimes forget to do this and it cuts okay)
  10. Brush a light coating of milk to help the scone have a glossy finish
  11. Bake for 25 minutes
  12. Cool
  13. Enjoy

No comments: