Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lizner Sables Cookies

It is that time again. Yes, Tuesdays With Dorie. Today's challenge, Lizner Cookies, is hosted by Noskos of Living the Life. I do not recollect ever having one of these cookies, but I am sure to remember making them. First, I would like to give a shout out to my dearest, sweetest, neighbor, Dragana, who has let me borrow half her kitchen for my culinary quests and pursuits. For this challenge, Dragana, let me borrow her Yugoslavian Nut Grinder. It was really quite the photo op and my boys loved helping me crank it. She also let me borrow her Lizner cookie cutters. I did not even know there was such a thing. To top it all off, they had NEVER been used, until now. Many thanks, DSN!

Okay, so I was able to start my cookie dough at 8:30 last night. However, in my house of madness, I was actually unable to do any cookie cutting and baking until after 12:30 a.m. My baby girl was sniffling and sneezing, so I had to tend to her. Plus, I kept messing up on rolling out the dough. I had rolled it way too thin. I had to reform it and reroll it. Then, refreeze it, uuuggghhh. This particular episode took me back to the days when my grandma not-so-patiently tried to teach me to roll out tortilla dough. Who knew that TWD could be so cathardic? But, unlike tortilla making, I actually got these cookies down. Maybe, I will try making tortillas again. See with every challenge, I become more confident. Watch out ego. My Hispanic heritage also influenced me to grind some almonds with my molcajete (mortar and pestle). Both methods, the grinder and molcajete, worked out pretty good.

All in all, I was able to make approximately 18 sandwich cookies or 36 singlets. I plated them as singlets and some sandwiched with ganache I made this morning. I really need to work on my dusting skills. I just love confectioners sugar when it is dusted just right. Any one have any hints for me to get a more professional look?

Okay, a funny part to this story is that I left one tray of cookies on wax paper to bake. I just transferred them as is onto the cookie sheet. After a while, a little smokiness entered my humble kitchen. When I took the cookies out, some had not fared so well. The wax paper had singed some. Hey, what do you expect at one something in the morning?

Thanks, Noskos. This was a nice and entertaining challenge. Now all of you go see how the other baking beauties fared.

12 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Cute cookies.

I didn't use chocolate, because I made them for dessert, and my friend that is coming over can't have chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Your linzer sables look good. Great job.

SweetBoy said...

I used the same Linzer cookie cutters! Your cookies look awesome! For the sprinkle of icing sugar, I use a small sieve.

Unknown said...

Ok, first of all... I don't want any nut crushers in my house, Yugoslavian or otherwise. You know, because it looks like it could scratch our table!

Second of all... You've been threatening to make homemade tortillas forever. Stop with the idle threats and get to it!

:-) Love you darling & great job!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, especially considering all the distractions! You are a super mom :) Beautiful cookies.

Jessica said...

Those look fantastic . . . and beautiful too! I nearly went with the can route before I spotted the glass. What a nice neighbor you have -- and with a well-stocked kitchen to boot!

Dragana said...

Gabe - it's not my fault she wasn't at home when I delivered the equipment and I didn't get to explain its use! I was heading over to sand the table, but I heard it made it ok, even after the brute force of the boys turning the handle.
I'll make sure she makes the homemade tortillas when you're home. That should make up for it!

Kayte said...

Your cookies look lovely. It is such fun to hear all the stories each week of the trials and tribulations of baking...I giggled at your wax paper episode...funny. I admire you staying up so late to make your cookies...wow!

Cathy said...

Your cookies look beautiful! Sorry about the wax paper -- that is totally something I would do. Love the Yugoslavian nut grinder!

Shelby said...

They look great!

Danielle said...

Your cookies came out great!
I have never heard of a nut crusher thats pretty cool!

Ivastar said...

Beautiful cookies! For the dusting I recommend laying them out on a baking sheer and sifting the powder sugar evenly all over them. Turn them over and repeat if you want them dusted on both sides. I use a small strainer with relatively coarse mesh for dusting.